View Single Post
Old 11-24-10, 05:16 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Dear Chain Skid Muller,
I'm still recalling your epic skid down Sudbury Road.
I beg you, don't think too hard. (That chain now occupies a place of honor in my box of discarded parts.)

Did you really re-dish your wheel to align with your "new" 6 speed cluster?
Yes. Those old 126mm hubs were often the same as 120mm hubs but with longer axles and more dish. I got a sealed-bearing 126mm Shimano hub from southpawboston and sure enough the flange spacing was the same as my current wheel. A new axle and brace of 3mm spacers is a lot cheaper than building a new wheel, so it just needed a bit of dishing. Everything is nicely centered now. And the freewheel really is new, a Shimano with 14-16-18-21-24-28. The 28 is black and the other cogs are bronze. The new chain is nickel. All very pretty but understated. The 90's can wait a while, I think.

PS did you really assemble a Michelotti Hearld transmission?
Well, it might have been designed originally for a Herald. Specifically it was from a GT6.

Here is my sweetie of 33 years posing on the top of Cadillac Mt this past May, same place as the pic I posted with the bike but looking north instead of east.

The gearbox internals. That remaining spacer goes between the center bearing (at the back end of the casing) and the lock ring, in case you were thinking I'd left something out. That gear at the odd angle inside is the reverse idler before the reverse shaft was put in place. You see, reverse can't go in until the layshaft is in place, and getting the layshaft in is, shall we say, tricky.