View Single Post
Old 05-21-05, 05:36 AM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trmcgeehan
Last year, I cycled 1,700 miles. My goal for this year is 2,000, but I am way off pace. I only have 600 miles in the books, and here it is May 21. My average speed is also down. Last year, I averaged 13.5 mph over hilly Kentucky terrain. This year, my average so far is 12.75, using the same bike (a 1980 Univega 12 speed). At age 67, is this the way it's supposed to go? Slower and less mileage every year? Depressing!

It probably has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with attitude and training. I started cycling just one year ago. I finished my first year with 6700 miles. Two weeks ago, I broke the Florida State record for the 5K Time Trial running a 7:27 against the old record of 7:29. BTW, it also exceed the younger age group 60-64 record which happens to be 7:32. I was the only racer out of over 100 to go sub 16 minutes in the 10K time trial immediately after the 5K event. I train hard, and have a positive mental outlook. My hero is a 91 year old ex Olympian in our club who was still winning sprints in our club ride sprint zones while still in his 70's. He still cranks along in the low twenties every day. I am not trying to blow my own horn, but I think my story makes a good point about what can be done inspite of age.

No, that is not the way it is supposed to go. Get on that bike and pump. Have a positive outlook, and know that it is possible to improve faster than the natural decrease that aging brings.

Oh, and yes, some of the fastest riders in our rather large club is the 60-70 year olds. Among that group we have two current world champions, a national champion, and an array of state champions. We 60 year olds are the dropers not the dropees in club hammerfests! Now get a positive attitude, smile, and get some mileage under your belt!