View Single Post
Old 05-21-05, 10:02 AM
zanq

Bikes: Tumbleweed Prospector 29+, 1991 Schwinn High Plains resto-mod, 1998 Schwinn Homegrown resto-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having done a couple mountain bike builds, I'd say do your homework, amass a list of needed parts and tools (don't forget cables, etc.) and wait for a site (cambria, jenson, etc.) to have a sale or coupon off your total order. It requires patience, but this has panned out well for me in the past.

Too bad you started the stripping, I think the orange is distinctive. My LBS has a deep cherry/red wine Waterford frame on the wall that looks pretty damn sexy but you aren't going to get those kind of results with a rattle can. Maybe go to a couple auto body shops in the area and see what a paint job would cost. You can add accenting later.

As others have said, you need a crank remover for the crank arms. Or if this is something you won't do often/ever again, ask the LBS to do it for a couple bucks.

You might want to measure the width of your rear dropouts as well. An old bike like that may have an odd dimension that a modern "standard sized" hub won't slide into easily.