Old 05-22-05, 03:05 PM
Cyclist0094
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
And the suggestion of using social skills to get food and accommodation smacks of begging to me. Self supported touring, whether ultralightweight or not, says exactly that. Yes, there may be the bonus of someone *offering* a meal or accommodation, but the morality of *expecting* that sort of hospitality because a touring cyclist is too lazy to carry their own or to earn their own stinks.
I am with Rowan on this one. Except I would go one step more and call it being a bum. People that pull that crap ruin it for the cyclists or travelers that through misfortune find themselves truly in need. The people who live off "thier social skills" seldom have any and is the primary reason a lot of people (including myself) no longer list themselves on the "warm showers" list. I got tired of providing food and lodging to people who never have any intention of reciprocation, but were doing it just to mooch.
But Bums also come from every background, the one that really got me PO'ed was a couple on a $6000 Santana tandem that stayed at my house two days. During breakfast just before they left,They were most thankful for the accomadations and ask how I could so trusting of allowing strangers into my home. Then they said they would never do it since they don't have the time nor trust people staying at thier home .