Old 11-30-10, 10:22 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Buggington
Hello

I'm not sure if I'm writing in the right place at the moment, but I thought it would be quite appropriate as winter is fast approaching.

I'm quite a keen cyclist (about as much as a normal teenager is) so I can spend up to a whole day out on my bike. I have the problem of sensitive eyes, so the slightest wind (of which there is a lot at this time of the year) can send my eyes streaming, which is not ideal when trying to pick your way around the pot holes on country roads.

So, I thought I'd try some wraparound glasses like you'd find most road cyclists wearing, but the issue is that I wear glasses. So, my question is; are there any glasses that will go over my existing pair, or are there any prescription ones I can find? (I'm in the UK by the way, don't know how much difference that will make).

Thanks,
Buggington
I would read Jim from Boston's threads on this topic. In the last five years probably a hundred people have asked this same question. Basically, your cheap large lab safety glasses that have side protection and fit over regular glasses is one of the cheapest and best working solutions. Goggles don't work so well when you get hot and stop. They fog up really bad unless you tear out nearly all of the foam ventilation covers which ends up making them about as breezy as glasses. Though they are warmer than glasses when it gets really cold. IF you stay moving goggles will generally stay fog free when being used without glasses. But once they fog up, goggles are much harder to get unfogged than glasses are. When used over glasses goggles don't often give good results unless you buy some expensive high end goggles that have batteries or other advanced anti-fog measures. Another problem with goggles is that the ones large enough to fit over your glasses don't work well with a bike helmet. They are too big.

Last edited by Hezz; 11-30-10 at 10:46 PM.