Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by paloewi
OK, I am planning a tour of North and South America. I won't be doing this for at least 3 years....
WOW! you may not realize it Peter, but your trip has ALREADY begun! Planning and anticipation are among the greatest aspects of a tour like this. I did Alaska-to-Chile as the 1st part of my world tour. I'll make just a couple comments so that we can focus on tour issues bit-by-bit instead of having mega-paragraph letters.

Asssuming you are going to be staying on or close to the PanAm highway system, the roads will be excellent to reasonable in almost all locations in North and Central America. A standard touring bike (I used a Cannondale hybrid; if I was to do it again as I will someday I will take my Fuji touring) should be able to get ya thru these portions. Bottled water is widely available throughout the region. I carried tincture of iodine rather than iodine tablets. Visit a health clinic specializing in travel overseas so that you can get your rabies, tetanus, and yellow fever innoculations on a timely basis.

On the west coast of south america: if you are going north/south thru the coastal valleys OR the mountain valleys, the roads are OK. When you go EAST/WEST over the Andean ranges, the roads can be unbelieveably horrible, and in many cases can't even be called roads. You may find yourself on dry riverbed in some places. Here you just have to walk or accept a ride on a local bus, which offers a bonejarring ride.

You are best to get information about 'security threats' and such from people in the region and on the roads upon which you are traveling. 'State department bulletins' and such tend to be out of date, focus upon urban/touristed areas, and not particularly useful to cyclists. My own experience with Colombia was that it was such a cycling-mad country that riders are well respected. I had folks join alongside of me on some of the climbs.

Just a bit for starters!

roughstuff