Old 12-04-10, 01:34 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Jed19
Surprised to hear that vinyl gloves dissolve in mineral spirits. I use mineral spirits exclusively in cleaning my chains, and I just bought some vinyl gloves from Home Depot yesterday. I better return them.

Or, are they really not that bad? It takes me all of 10minutes to clean my chain, thanks to Sheldon Brown's coke bottle method.
I can't ever remember having a pair of surgical gloves dissolve in solvent.

I don't use Sheldon Browns approach anymore, in fact I'm no longer going to remove my chains for cleaning like that! Yep you heard me right. Instead I'm only going to use a chain cleaning machine from Finish Line, because I've come to a conclusion we're doing more harm soaking our chains in a way that drives oil out of the deep recesses of the chain that we cannot get back good enough like the manufacture did originally, and in the process of deep cleaning and stripping that lube out we drive contaminates into those areas. I read about this on a web site about a year ago and decided to try it out. Doing that along with using Chain L lube I'll see what happens, so far the chains haven't vaporized.