View Single Post
Old 12-04-10, 02:13 PM
rotti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
training philosophies ????

Hi everyone. I have a few training questions on different philosophies. I have a strong educational background and experience in strength training. I spent 10 years as a top level powerlifter. I've been looking into different styles of endurance training with particular interest in cycling. It seems most train using block periodization. This is very similar to powerlifters. I never had much success in powerlifting using block periodization. I started to have huge improvements following a conjugate system of training. This system trains the different elements every week, year round. So you would train for max strength, hypertrophy, and explosiveness every week all year.

Would this method work for cycling? Could you train with one strength ride (hills), one speed ride, and one long ride every week year round? You could even prioritize different cycles where you still train all elements but add an extra day of training for the system you want to prioritize. For example 2 long rides or 2 strength rides per week. This would leave you with 3 recovery rides per week as well. Would this work for endurance sports?

QUESTION 2. For those of you who do follow block periodization where you train with base miles in the winter and focus on speed as you get near competition, have you ever reversed it? It seems to me that speed would be harder to gain then endurance (or is this wrong). So would it be beneficial to train for strength and speed through the winter months, then increase your endurance as the competition gets closer? This would also seem to be an advantage for cold weather riders as well. Less time on the bike when it's below 30 and day light is limited.

I'm just curious. I really enjoy the scientific end of training as much as the actual physical training itself. I'm always reading and researching, but experience usually trumps book knowledge. I don't have the experience yet so I'm trying to learn from those who do. Thanks in advance for those who take the time to answer.