Old 12-07-10, 09:04 PM
Vertigory

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where do you keep your bike after you get back home?

Hello! First time poster, first time winter cycling!

I read plenty of information on how to dress for winter cycling, and suffice it to say I'm actually quite pleased with the fact I've not yet overheated (or froze solid). The ride to and from work is exponentially more enjoyable than riding in warmer weather!

My only concern is I'm not exactly bike savvy. I live in a row-house, I have no garage, and no real place to store my bike indoors. I'm not even sure if I should store my bike indoors, since winter = salted roads = salty snow (and if I bring the bike indoors, salty water) all over my bike = rusty bike. And much as winter cycling is fun, it's also a bit of a necessity financially, unless I'd rather walk all winter.

Is keeping my bike outdoors for the bulk of winter a terrible idea? I can only assume covered, obviously, but I'm mostly hoping the constant exposure to rather cold temperatures isn't going to be worse for it than bringing it inside. Conversely, would it be better to bring the bike indoors and attempt to dry it as best I can?

I've not much experience in anything past only the most basic maintenance, if even that.