View Single Post
Old 12-08-10, 07:02 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zoltani
I'm looking at Raleigh as a possible relocation destination and was wondering how easy it is to be car free. What neighborhoods? Office would likely be located near I-540 @ Capital, but I would really prefer an area that is walkable/bikeable. How easy is it to bike from downtown to around 540?

How is the public transit in the area? In particular how easy is it to take the train and/or bus to explore the whole triangle?

Thanks!
Hopefully someone that live in Raleigh will be able to chime in. Raleigh is a poster child for urban sprawl. Mass transit basically doesn't exist, there is no commuter/light rail. They are just now starting to consider a bicycle as an alternate form of transportation. They have no money to spend on transit and when they do it is all about widening the freeways.

It is possible to live in some parts of Raleigh and cycle, but choose very carefully. Hate to sound so down on Raleigh. My office is in Apex, but I am seldom there. I would rather live in Boston than Raleigh, even with the weather and higher cost of living.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon