View Single Post
Old 12-08-10, 11:43 AM
illdthedj

Bikes: klein quantum, litespeed tuscany, bianchi pista concept, centurion comp ta, centurion super le mans, traitor ringleader

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Slipping STAR NUT in steerer tube?

Hello!

Problem: newly installed STAR NUT slips in 1 1/8th threadless steerer tube...ie, turn headset screw, it pulls star nut upwards!

preface: so i am a somewhat amateur home bicycle mechanic....have 5 bikes, work on them all myself. anywho, i have a star nut installing tool, and have installed two star nuts before with no issue whatsoever.

However, with a new fork i just cut myself, after i installed the star nut and put the headset cap on then screwed the headset screw into the star nut, the star nut gets pulled upward....i noticed it also dosn't take much effort to push it down either!

NOW i will also say, i bought this starnut from the local LBS because id like to think its nice to support your LBS....BUT i specifically asked for a 1 and 1/8th inch starnut....and from previous star nut installations (well, 2) it took significantly more effort to install...

BASICALLY im thinking the LBS gave me a 1 inch starnut...that or a shoddy quality starnut....OR MAYBE ITS SOMETHING ELSE I AM UNAWARE OF??? thats why i am asking here. if you all think my LBS made a mistake (which has happened before) then i am forever boycotting said LBS and buying everything online.