gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by albertmoreno
When I first started driving, I was really excited. The feeling was new then. I would go for joyrides with friends, listening to music, into the mountains just to have something to do. Then when I started driving out of necessity to get to work and school, the novelty wore off. After a few tickets, I was just resentful of the car. I started taking the bus to school and riding a crappy slow old cruiser around town because I couldn't afford to pay for the ridiculously expensive registration tags. I would still use my car from time to time when necessary but the last ticket for $950 just convinced me that I did not enjoy driving my car enough to keep paying for things like gas, insurance, tickets, etc. A year ago, I found the Tammy Strobel's rowdykittens.com blog and read her Simply Carfree ebook. That's when I decided to sell my car and buy a bike. I'm still struggling to adapt to using a bike for every day transportation, but at least I enjoy it a lot more than driving the old cage.

My younger brother is starting to drive now and I think he's starting to learn what a burden having a car can be. Driving a car is expensive and working just to afford the car to get to work is a drag. I think some younger kids can see that after the novelty of driving wears off.
All this attitude about cars is something you get as a benefit of being a Generation Y type. Years ago, young people generally wouldn't have given serious thought to going without. Gas was cheap. Cars reasonably priced. They were easy to repair. There was less congestion on the roadways. And I think there was less need to spend hours per day getting from A to B.