Old 12-09-10, 11:06 AM
erik c

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Live Wire
I agree with PP....I think
The torch in post #11 is a fine size for brazing. Ultra light hoses and tiny torches won't help you learn to braze and will just cost you extra $ at this point.
I'll respectfully disagree. Not dragging around unnecessary extra torch weight in the form of "heavy duty" torch bodies and large diameter rubber hoses designed to provide enough fuel/gas to enable welding 1 inch plate most certainly can make learning to braze .9mm wall material easier.
For me, personally, having dragged around several setups of varying weight, the aircraft torch and kevlar hose combo was the easiest to work on control with as you have less fighting gravity to think about so the brain can be more fully focused on the mechanics of what you're actually trying to to rather than thinking about how heavy the damn torch is.
That said I don't own kevlar hoses and probably never will, but I do have the lightest rubber hoses the welding shop carried and an aircraft torch now in addition to the larger torch and hoses I started out with (which are still smaller than what is shown).

Will it work yes (depending on what those tips actually are).
Is it optimal? I'd say say far from it.