Old 05-24-05, 01:48 PM
Dr. Moto

Bikes: Motobecane, Douglas, Trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BikeDC called off this year

I just saw on WABA's site that BikeDC has been called off for 2005. This was a really fun ride through downtown D.C. and outlying areas with huge participation. I did it in 2003 and was hoping to ride it again, but I guess the terrorists have won after all.

What Happened to BikeDC?

Since 1999 BikeDC has been the most visible feature of WABA's mission. It has provide us with an opportunity to educate people of all ages in proper cycling technique in a safe and fun environment, and to improve our advocacy efforts, both through membership recruitment and by calling the attention of local elected officials and the public at large to the fact that bicycling is important for healthy and sustainable communities. However, because of the unique security challenges we now face in DC, the number of agencies and jurisdictions involved in the permitting process for the event has increased dramatically. Accordingly, WABA needs to take time out in 2005 to evaluate whether to continue the event in the future or to achieve our goals in other ways.

In the meantime, there will be no shortage of fun WABA rides in 2005! We encourage you to attend or volunteer at other events such as Bike to Work Day, Bike Arlington, the Clean Air Ride, our City Paper Singles Rides, the Washington Ridge Ride, and the 50 States Tour.

If you’d like to share your thoughts with us regarding BikeDC, please email us at waba@waba.org or call us at 202.628.2500 with your questions or comments.