View Single Post
Old 09-23-02, 05:53 AM
faith

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve noticed a significant variation on surface prep for crankset installations ranging from do not grease; grease; to use Locktite etc. What is more interesting are that instructions vary for the same unit depending upon the source “authority”. The following is a post about the Race Face PRODIGY crankset on the MTB Review Web Site:

http://www.mtbreview.com/reviews/Cra...ct_20817.shtml

“Race Face is still having tolerance problems with the ISIS system. Many, including myself, have not been able to tighten the crank all the way against the "stop" flange, which messes up the chainline. With my 2ND pair, My fix was to crank hard on the bolts after every ride. Eventually, the cranks seated. I bought TWO pairs! Why? I bought the 1st set, followed the directions which said grease the INSIDE threads of the bb spindle. Never heard of this before, but dutifully did it, with disasterous results. NOT!! The bolts backed out, and even after checking them a number of times the 1st ride, they continued to come loose, and it ruined the spline interface. Now I have a $100 set of extra chainrings. WHY RF said to grease the spindle threads is beyond me, but I did it against what my experience told me, and they were ruined cause they loosened and screwed up the splines. Can you say LOCKTITE the spindle threads like I wanted to do in the first place? I will attempt to get the 1st pair warrantied because of this kind of mis-information supplied by RF themselves in their own install directions”