Old 12-16-10, 02:13 PM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roody
You make public policy decisions so much easier--we just go by your personal preferences.

You like trains because they don't slow down personal cars, so the public will pay for trains. You don't like buses, so we'll turn bus service over to a "cheaper" private company that will make people stand on a busy highway until enough have gathered to make it worthwhile to send a van for them.

Tsk, all the money we've wasted on democracy, when we could have just asked you what to do.
Oh bad idea? Because the current system works so well as it is? If the current system worked so many metro systems wouldn't be contracting out would they? It may be different in Motor City but in LA, Orange County and the Inland Empire mass transit is horrid. It will be even more horrid as routes get cut. And there is no expectation of it getting fixed by government in the next few years.

I like light rail because it isn't bumper to bumper with traffic in the city. And yes you are correct democracy works; it is that democracy however that is cutting back on Public funded mass transit and it is my hope that something steps in to fill the gap as busses get cut back. I am not so obtuse as to believe the public should just simply wait till things get better but believe that a private company can and often do a pretty good job of meeting the public’s needs. UPS, FedEx comes to mind. They take up where the USPS falls down in many cases.

Most of these private companies of which I speak will make an extra stop if the customer needs it. They will make an extra run if the customer needs it. And if only one customer needs a ride they will make a run in that direction to pick up the customer on the half hour. But the advantage is they don’t have to stop at “6th and Grand” as an example they can deviate a few blocks to accommodate a passenger. Does the public service in your area do that? I believe it is one of the reasons private agencies now dominate airport shuttle services. Because busses can care less if you are on time and a shuttle service has to get you there before your check in time.