View Single Post
Old 05-25-05, 04:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by hardpatz
A bike salesperson told me that aluminum frames eventually wear out, or become dead. Does this happen and what does it mean?
I put that in the same mental box with worrying about my steel frames rusting away or feeling assured because I can have a tube replaced on my lugged steel frame. I'm sure that all three things happen but, a guy my age probably won't live long enough for it to happen to me. All of my bike frames have always lasted longer than I really wanted them to last. After awhile bicycle frame designs evolve. Rear dropout spacing changes or headset sizes change or I just feel like I want something new.

Incidentally, that comment about aluminum frames losing their "feel" in some period of time - I can remember when exactly the same comment used to be made about steel frames. Back in those days people also said they didn't like aluminum frames because they weren't stiff like a good steel frame. If you live long enough some of these old bikers tales are going to change. Then you get to laugh at the guys who keep repeating them.