View Single Post
Old 12-19-10, 01:09 PM
coldfeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In Calgary, the road plowing is fairly pathetic. They do plow major routes, and an increase in the budget, along with the use of private contractors when the conditions overwhelm the limited number of city plows, is causing some improvements this season. My own pet peeve is they seem slow to get out there and start plowing, which leads to unnecessary packing, which becomes ice latter. The MUPs do get plowed, along a selection of major routes, usually faster than the roads get done. When we get repeated snows and melts, this sometimes leads to areas of nasty melt lakes which freeze over. For the most part, Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pros cope with that. There are some parts of my route which don't get swept, this can stop me riding for a few days, the alternate routes suck, and walking the unrideable bits makes the commute unacceptably long. This year, along the piece South of the Bird Sanctuary, where sweeping does not take place, someone has done some hand shoveling, any of you guys from round here know who? I wouldn't mind giving up an hour or so to meet up with a couple of shovels and ice chisel to clean off the tricky bits.