Old 12-22-10, 03:00 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hipchip: Thanks so much for the additional information. I'll try to address your points as best as I can.

Ultrasound: I'll ask the PT today if they offer ultrasound at this facility.

MRI: I called my doctor again to get an answer about scheduling an MRI before the end of the year (still waiting for the call back). However, today I will ask the PT if he will recommend a sports orthopedist closer to home (mine is on the way to work and not an easy drive on a day off). I strongly suspect that my injury is worse than the ROM tests suggest during the evaluations; almost every exercise I do, they seem surprised if I'm not able to do them without pain, and they work with a lot of other people to give them a basis for comparison.

Pain vs. soreness: The primary pain I feel is midway between my shoulder and elbow (at the base of the deltoid) and I would describe the pain as sharp. I've been using "mild tearing pain" to describe what I feel. Other smaller pains in the shoulder itself feel like minor tearing sensations. I would describe any of it as dull pain or minor soreness. It seems VERY vulnerable to any activity -- the smallest movements while wrapping gifts, driving (I drive a stick shift). It does not hurt much to sleep on it (the PT says not to anyway).

Cycling: The PT knows I am a cyclist and I am anxious to start training for upcoming rides next year. At first, he said it might be best not to ride for a few months if riding causes pain. Then, he said if I really want to ride then it will take longer to heal, and that is a trade-off. However, I don't want to forge ahead and cause further damage or delay other activities longer than necessary (e.g. rescue rappelling).

Last edited by Yen; 12-22-10 at 03:04 PM.