View Single Post
Old 12-23-10, 11:09 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrekmanDan
My wife is about to get her road bike for Christmas and knowing her, she's gonna want to ride it asap. However, it'll be in the mid 50's here in Houston for the next 4 days. We both have lightweight convertible jackets, but that's really about it. So, aside from the jacket, what else do we need to be comfortable and at the same time look like and feel like "real" cyclists (i.e. no parachuting shirts, etc.). I already got us some gloves and a couple cycling beanies at Performance Bike, but have no clue what we need on our bodies (base layers, jersey, etc.).
If your from Houston your probably not used to really cold weather. Some guys can ride in these temps with nothing more than standard gear. But most people would be uncomfortable in shorts and short sleeves in this temperature. You will probably need long sleeve jersey with cycling jacket on top. Light cycling jacket is OK here you only need some wind break. Shorts and legwarmers or full length cycling tights with chamois. Most people like full finger cycling gloves at about 55 degrees and lower but some are good in regular cycling gloves down into mid 40's. Most don't need anything on the head other than the bike helmet down to around 40 F.

Check out winter cycling forums if you need more specific information.

Last edited by Hezz; 12-23-10 at 11:15 PM.