View Single Post
Old 12-24-10, 01:45 PM
Arcanum

Bikes: 2010 Kona Dr. Dew, Moose Bicycle XXL (fat bike), Yuba Mundo V3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It seems like you're going about the whole buying-a-new-bike thing backwards. It really sounds like you're going around thinking "ooh that ones neat, and I like that one, and oh that one's shiny, that one would be fun" and on and on an on. You'll never buy a bike (or anything else) that way unless you just one day impulse buy something.

Try this:
1) Figure out how much money you can spend. It can be exact, "no more than $1125", or a ballpark "around $1000", but have a real number. When I did this, my number was "less than $1000".

2a) Figure out what purpose the bike will serve. Commuting, obviously, but what else? Groceries? Rail trail riding? Winter riding?
2b) Based on 2a, figure out what features you need and what features you want. For me, I needed a moderately aggressive flat bar bike with disc brakes that would hold up to lots of abuse and take a rack and fenders. I wanted an internally geared hub and an all-in-one dynohub+lights+rack solution.

3) Identify what bikes actually meet your needs and wants within your budget.

4) Of those, figure out which you could potentially get locally.

5) Go try out the bikes you can try out, or close relatives thereof.

At this point, you should have your list narrowed down pretty severely. This is more-or-less what I went through when I bought my Dr. Dew back in February. See this thread where I discussed it on here.

Looking at that thread reminded me: If you want the Dr. Fine or Dr. Good, you may want to jump on one Right Now. When I tried to get a 2010 Dr. Fine in February they were completely and utterly sold out.