In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Golden Triangle Tour

DAY 1

The first day's ride was 106 kms and was a great 106 kms!! It started with about an 8 km climb (6% grade) which I cruised right up. Then the route was flat to downhill until toward the end when we reached a climb that was about 4 or 5 kms long and varied between about 6% and 8%. I cruised right up that one too. That was a real boost for me because 6 months ago, I probably would have walked them. OK, I wasn't especially fast but maintained about 10 or 11 km/h ... a nice steady, comfortable pace, and faster than walking. After I reached the top of the second hill it was a long fast descent into the town of Radium.

There was one guy who blew past me on the second climb like I was standing still! His looks reminded me a bit of Pantani. (did I spell that right?)

We encountered a wide variety of weather, which caught some people off guard (many were in shorts with very little other protective gear). At the top of the first hill, and part way down the other side, it snowed, then sleeted (ouch!), then rained ... and it continued to rain on and off for the rest of the day. When the sun was out it was quite warm, then it would cloud up and get quite cool ... so there was a lot of stopping to put stuff on, and stopping to take stuff off.

The scenery on the whole route is fabulous!!! Majestic snow-topped mountains, turquoise rivers and streams, pine forests. But I didn't see any wildlife! There were rumors of bears around, but I didn't see any. Maybe tomorrow.

Supper will be served in about an hour so I'll go for that ... I'm hungry!! I missed the second snack stop because I was too fast, and they didn't have it set up yet. (what a weird feeling for me ... to be too fast for something!!!) Fortunately I always carry my own food.

After supper I plan to take the shuttle bus up to the hotsprings and have a little soak. That'll be nice! My IT bands are a little bit sore ... I wasn't too impressed with that, but maybe the hotsprings will loosen things up. Then ... I might RELAX and read a bit. This supported stuff has something going for it!