View Single Post
Old 12-25-10, 06:26 AM
pbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pierce
you really need a couple 'cone wrenches' to adjust hubs. these are thin metric wrenches that fit into the slot on the cones, so you can adjust them then hold them put while you tighten the lock nut with a regular wrench. if its properly tight, the quick release skewer will have no affect on bearing play.
Que? I was going mostly by Sheldon Brown's page, and several other videos that agreed...that there will be a slight/tiny bit of play on the wheel alone, but that once you tighten the QR on the frame the play will disappear and the wheel will still spin freely? This agreed with most of the things I was seeing/reading. And the finickiness I was referring to was probably just me being too careful to not over-do anything, doing a tiny bit at a time and trying it each time to get a feel for what I was doing.

Here's what I was reading, from: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cone-adjustment.html

Quick-release hubs are trickier to adjust, because the quick-release mechanism compresses the axle slightly when it is tightened. If you adjust the cones so that they feel just right off the bike, they will bind up when you tighten the quick release. You must set the cones so that there is a little bit of play when the hub is off the bike, or when the wheel is installed with the quick-release just barely tightened.
And as far as the actual wrenching, it turns out I did have a wrench that fit onto the cone. It was a fluke though, it came with the assembly kit for a couch, really weird. A better one is in order for comfort, but this one worked surprisingly well.

Either way, thanks for posting, and Merry Christmas!

Last edited by pbd; 12-25-10 at 06:49 AM.