Old 12-25-10, 07:48 PM
dale weaver

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuting, general impressions about you town?

First i would like to say that this post is to get a feel for the impressions that commuting where you live

I, live in Salt lake city. Yes we do have a well known school for higher learning here, and with it a substantial use of bikes( but an even larger use of cars,trucks,etc,etc)

For 18 months, I worked in the down town area. One of the guys that i worked with would ride in any weather ( even what we, call lake effect snow).
Once i was asked to give him a hand in the shop( he was/is a mechanic) while we worked naturally, i asked him why he rode in from such a long way away( 15 miles, if memory serves) He told me that it was a way for him to get ready for work.
At this point in time i didn't know about commuting, much less any of the ways that a bike could be used for any thing other than light exercise.
Any way over the last few years i have seen more and more people use their bikes to get to work( what with the high price of gas and the general down turn in the economy) Every now and then i get the chance to ask folks why they do it, and how they feel the city try to accommodate their need/wants. most respond whit the usual, more bikes paths, better laws to protect them, harsher penalty's for those who are involved with cyclists in a accident .( you get the idea)

From what i have been able to determine. Most people, and by people i mean every body. not just cyclist's. need to get used to seeing the two wheeled people, and cyclists need to remember how a motorist is when he or she is at the wheel, and plan ahead..

thanks for your time