Old 12-26-10, 03:47 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a college student who decided to go car less and take my love of biking to the next level, i will say the college town i live almost full time in isn't too bad. The entire campus (Central Michigan University) now has bike lanes. The city (Mount Pleasant, MI) has a pretty large cycling population so even outside of the University people are aware of bikes on the roads (at least compared to my home city).

My home city, people could care less about bikes with the typical, "Why dont you get on the sidewalk!" being shouted while riding. Its a town that grew thanks to the sales of cars so as soon as you mention "I dont have a car" people automatically give you an odd look and ask why "You arnt supporting America". Its a very closed minded city, i sometimes fear riding my bike on the road.

One more comparison is my recent visit to San Francisco where i almost passed out when i seen how many bikes were on the street! It was awesome compared to both cities i ride in! Bike lanes seemed to be everywhere, cars seemed to pay a bit more attention to the bikes on the roads as well. It was neat.

.Chris