Old 12-26-10, 08:41 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My city has three separate bike paths that do not connect. Each of them is falling apart due to both being under-built along the edge of creeks/rivers and the fact that the city runs large motor vehicles on them all day long. I have steel bikes that have been broken by riding them on these paths. If one ventures onto these "bike paths to nowhere", then one will encounter pedestrian critical mass. In spite of the fact that our vehicle code designates bike paths as roads, not sidewalks, and that on roads without sidewalks pedestrians have absolutely no right-of-way, the peds go five across and blockade the bike paths. Our bike lanes are possibly worse than our bike paths. Most of them involve door-zone bike lane designs that are lethal (literally, as we have had deaths from doorings here) and many are less than a foot of asphalt plus a curb apron. On four-lane busy one-way streets they disappear and reappear on the other side a block later. Our bike infrastructure is an object lesson in poor implementation.

The culture here is interesting. The residents of the city are generally neutral or positive towards bikes. Unfortunately, the suburban residents who fill our roads daily are generally homicidally hostile towards cyclists. Even worse, all of our sheriffs and state troopers and most of our city cops live in the suburbs and have extremely anti-bike attitudes. I am told to "get the bleep off the road" every week. I have ridden in about half of the states of this country and this is the most bike-hostile place I have ever been.

We don't have a single politician that uses a bike. We also don't have any full-time city employees who ride year-round. These people don't understand that spending $10 million on two bike bridges to/from nowhere does not enhance our bike infrastructure. They were required by state law to build one of the bridges, but refused to connect it to anything; to use it you have to go out of your way and increase your danger.

Up until this year, I was generally one of about ten people in this town of 130.000 who rode year round. Much to my pleasure, there are hundreds of people using their bikes this fall/winter. Maybe these new cyclists will translate into improvements in both infrastructure and culture.