Bécane
Positio, ergo sum!

Bikes: Cannondale - R5000 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jakemoffatt
I got my roadbike mid-april. I've ridden about 5 or 6 out of every 7 days since. I started out at about 2 miles and I'm up to 23 now. The last couple days I have added 3 miles to my ride each day. It seems like a lot to me but I didn't have any problems with it. My speed is also increasing rapidly. I'm averaging about 19 or 20 mph whereas when I started I was averaging about 13 mph. Does it seem like I may be adding miles on too soon or is that normal? I am toying with the idea of doing the Ride to Kaiser, or at least the shortest leg of it (60 miles I think it is, and 3500 feet). My ride has very little climbing in it so far. I'm planning on doing some hills on Friday with a friend who knows some good ones. I'm I going to kill myself or am I doing fine?
All right, based on the numbers you mentionned (btw 20 mph average is excellent), you are ripe for some variations in your weekly routine.

First go for some long distance at least once a week, something like 40 to 60 miles. Second, if you are serious about climbing big hills you'd better start now. No "ifs and buts" about it, to be good in climbing hills or at least to reduce the pain while climbing them you have to climb them more often.