View Single Post
Old 12-27-10, 05:54 PM
socalrider

Bikes: Litespeed Liege, Motorola Team Issue Eddy Mercxk, Santana Noventa Tandem, Fisher Supercaliber Mtn. Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
socalrider;

IMO any claim of Lumens rating for a flashlight from many manufacturers should be taken with a large dose of skepticism unless it is clearly stated thet the rating is per ANSI test methods which are an "out the front" rating. The ratings on many flashlights can be as optimistic as the ratings claimed by Magicshine. Per my understanding the actual output of the Magicshine when tested to OTF ANSI standard is about 550 Lumens or 60% of the claimed 900 Lumens for the basic Magicshine.

That is hopefully a near worst case example as both Fenix and Olight are in the midst of switching to ANSI test standards and the effect on their lights claimed outputs seems to be minimal.
There is huge difference in specs when dealing with overseas sellers like DealExtreme and US based sellers like Lighthound or Shiningbeam. One of the P7's I own is the Xtar model, you go to lighthound and they state that is around 400+ lumens which is accurate. The same light on DealExtreme is stated as a 700+ lumen light. You have to accept the overseas sellers are always going to overstate output.

The chinese sellers always overstate output sometimes by 1/2, you will find the us based sellers output specs are usually right on the mark or very close. The 450 lumen light I linked, Colleen a bf member provided pics and it is as bright as a 700 lumen (chinese spec) light. So the 450 lumen spec is right on the mark, most likely 350+ OTF lumens.

Last edited by socalrider; 12-27-10 at 05:57 PM.