View Single Post
Old 12-27-10, 07:09 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by JunkYardBike
So, in keeping with the BOC theme, this is more about: here's my crappy frame in the wrong size which I'll gladly trade for your crappy frame in my size? And I'm willing to pay $50 for the transaction.
Well, speaking for myself alone... yes, that sounds about right. That is, I'm willing to pay shipping my frame to you. JYB, we ride the same frame size which pretty much excludes us from doing this kind of business together, except that we have pretty radically different taste in bikes, so maybe there's hope after all, but then again I pretty much only have crappy ones and you pretty much only have nice ones, so... uh, never mind.

My hope with this thread is that we consider passing our useless goods ("crap") on without worrying too much about what we get in return, so long as it fits. The frame I have is, for my purposes useless ("crap") because it's too (a) small (b) racy and (c) modern. Something in my size would be far more useful. If it's still crap, at least it would be crap in my size. It's not a terrible frame. It's really quite nice, it's just useless to me.

I'm not a gambler, and I recommend anyone playing this game understand what they're getting. But inasmuchas the BOCPAG was gambling, and the secret Santa game was gambling, this too is gambling. You put something in, and you get something out. No one promises that what you get out is more valuable than what you put in.

Anyway, I started this thread, and will follow it, but I'm not making up the rules. I'm merely suggesting rules I'd like. Make your own rules, arrange your own trades, and make someone happy. If anyone's happy, I'll be happy.

And if I get a 60 cm Claud Butler (or Holdsworth, Carlton, Hetchins, Norman, &c), I'll be especially happy!

Edit...
Yes, John, you have it right. This isn't to be limited in any way. It's a free-for-all! Anyone who wants to organize it, categorize it, and make it work, please! Be my guest!