irclean
Born Again Pagan

Bikes: Schwinn hybrid, Raleigh MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best Way to Carry U-Lock?

After searching the Forums and coming up with no viable solutions I turn to you, my fellow commuters, for an answer to my problem. I have a large, heavy u-lock that I need to find a new home for on my bike. I have a rear rack and use only one pannier, so until now I've been transporting it on top of the rack:

Here it is sandwiched between the rack and my lunchbox:

I'm getting a new trunk bag soon so I need to move the lock from its current position. My lock, a Magnum 3000, didn't come with the quick-release bracket shown on its web page so I don't have the option of mounting it on a frame tube. In any case I wouldn't want it inside the front triangle due to cable routing and/or interference with my water bottles. I also don't want to mount it on my handlebars with the Twofish Lockblock since that would interfere with my light and computer mounting positions.

Abus makes a neat-looking bracket that attaches to one side of a rack (click on pic for link):

That's perfect for me since I only use the one side for my pannier. Does anyone here have any experience with this product? Also, does anyone know where to source out this product on this side of the pond? So far the only online sources I've found are in the UK. If not, I would really appreciate any links to similar products, or any other ideas/solutions that you might have to help me solve my dilemma.

Thanks for reading, and ride safe!

Last edited by irclean; 12-29-10 at 01:30 AM.