Old 05-26-05, 03:19 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
I'm new here, and tried searching/reading before posting. I'm trying to remove the DS crank on my wife's mountain bike, one of the chainrings has broken teeth and causes the chain to skip (unfortunately it's the smallest chainring, so looks like the crank has to come off).

I've disconnected the DS crank from the chainrings, and then removed the 8mm hex crank bolt. I'm using the Park CCP-2 crank puller tool and the cranks are suntour MD320's I think (basic suntour cranks that came with the MTB which uses a Deore setup). I get the first bolt into the crank threads, and then thread the puller portion as far as it will go, but no luck. I tried the same on the other (left) side crank, with the same results. By looking the crank it looks like a regular standard square bottom bracket.

Am I missing something obvious here? I've tried threading the crank puller tool's bolt using a wrench, and still no luck. Perhaps am I using the wrong tool? I'm not sure what type of BB the bike has, but by looking through the crank it looks like a square design. I'm wondering if the cranks are just tight, or if i'm missing something here.

I'd really appreciate any help/tips anyone could give me.

Make sure there is not a washer still in there. I have seen people strip out crank extractor threads this way.