Old 12-31-10, 05:20 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You and I are basically on the same page, but I'm a firm believer in using different gauges on right and left flanges of high dish wheels. In this regard it's the center section which is most of the length of the spoke that counts. That allows more equal strain (%elongation) of all the spokes despite the tension being lower on the left. The Op should decide on the right flange spokes first, then look for a lighter butted spoke for the left, though like you I won't go below 2.0 at the hub.
Yes, I do that on my own wheels, 2.0-1.8-2.0 on drive side rear and 2.0-1.5-2.0 (Revolutions) on the non-drive side. But as a general rule I don't recommend Revolutions to people I don't know because they are harder to work with and relatively expensive. Your recommendation, above, for 14/13 single butted spokes on the drive side may be better than mine, but here again, the 13 gauge DT Swiss is 2.34 mm and may be too big for some hub spoke holes and the rest of the spoke is 2.0 mm so you lose some of the shock absorption advantage of double butted spokes. Not saying which is the better choice.

Last edited by Al1943; 12-31-10 at 05:54 PM.