folder fanatic
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Buy used and go from there.

I bought a Rolling Rock Promo bike (Dahon Mariner 26) from a thrift store for ~$40, the derailleurs were basically garbage, along with crank and bottom bracket. Currently the bike is getting built up as a city bike with a Shimano IGH 8, single speed crank, dyno hub, fenders, etc. I will have under $400 in the bike when I get done.

Aaron
Yes, the used market is one sure way to go. Unfortunately, it is not a very reliable way of finding a bike-or part(s) of one-when you want it. It could be a matter of careful searching & patience to locate the one(s) you like to have.

Originally Posted by gear
I bought a Montigue 26" frame on ebay from a company that wanted to convert them for electric bikes. I then built up the bike with great parts (SA igh), Kinisis fork, etc. Makes for a great urban assault bike.
Or going to an alternative sources to score the bike or it's parts. Again it is a matter of patience and searching it out.

Originally Posted by irwin7638
Dahon expresso is a folder with 26" wheels. I like mine a lot, I added some SKS fenders, a rear rack and changed the handle bars to trekking bars, it's great for the train trips I take during the year.

Marc
The most reliable way to go. First, buying a basic complete bike and changing and upgrading to whatever you want it to be. I did this approach with my Dahon Boardwalk S1 and my Brompton CE3. When I donated the Dahon, I simply took back most of the nice components and accessories I placed on it over the years before it left the house for the last time. So having it your way can be easy if you are aware of what you desire and see the bike for it's parts, rather than simply a complete preplanned model. Because if you keep it long enough plus add to it and upgrade along the way, that what bikes are to me-the sum of it's parts.

Last edited by folder fanatic; 01-01-11 at 08:30 PM.