View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 01:13 AM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mauisher
Hi Mech, Thanks for the reference to your excellent review of the Dinotte 300R. Since you've had it now for a few months, 1) how do you like the light? 2) would you recommend it over the 140 or 400 for daylight use? Thanks, again.
1. the light has its ups and downs.

downs: It's one more thing I feel uncomfortable leaving on the bike when I'm at the grocery store, so I have to take it in with me. I sometimes worry about the nylon bracket breaking if I hit a really severe pothole... no one wants to lose a $200 blinkie. It's a little blocky-looking.

ups: the USB charging feature is nice; if I feel like taking the long road home, I can make sure the battery's full before I leave. There's no cables to fatigue and lose reliability. It goes from bike to bike with less fuss than a 140. It's plenty bright, if this doesn't do the job I was just not meant to survive

2. I wish I'd taken the time to do a daytime comparison test between the 140 and the 300R. I gave away the 140, so I can't say for sure which is better: the 140 with its higher intensity at the center of the beam, or the 300R with much more viewable surface area. I've never tried the 400R myself.

For your purposes, if the longest runtime is a trump card, then I think the 140 with a lithium-ion 4-cell battery wins easily, but then again you can recharge the 300R with a very lightweight cell-phone charger or a USB cable if you have access to a wall outlet or a computer at one of your stops.

Personally, what I'd like best is a self-contained 140 the size of a SuperFlash.