Old 01-04-11, 12:13 PM
sean000

Bikes: Rivendell Atlantis, Kogswell P58, 1988 Pinarello, Rivendell Wilbury (my wife's bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
I'm sorry, but that looks like it would snag something rather important.
Well... you're supposed to wear shorts or pants when you sit on it

FWIW: I've tried various Brooks saddles on various bikes, mostly with negative results. It wasn't until I tried a WTB saddle that I found something I could actually tolerate all day. That was 20+ years into my cycling career and 10 years after switching to a recumbent. I'm happy enough with the WTB saddles to have them on my uprights. To each his own.
I've ridden many saddles over the last 25 years and a well broken in Brooks B17 is the most comfortable I've owned (even for riding in regular jeans or shorts without any padding). The breaking in is the key part though. I've got a new B17 on another bike and it's brutal for long rides. I let some of the tension out and it's better, but nothing like it will be once it breaks in. I also have a new B17 Imperial to try. I've decided that the thing to do is to break them in over shorter rides if you can. Summer riding works best. My favorite saddle before the B17 was a circa 1985 Avocet. It wasn't a leather saddle, but something about the shape of it fit me really well...and the padding was just right.