Old 01-04-11, 01:26 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Starting a club/team: how do I minimize red tape

EDIT: I have contaced USA cycling and will update with what I learn. This may be useful information for others out there.

Hey guys, I am looking for some resources to learn more about the red tape regarding starting a club. I recently quit my racing team here in Boise to focus on building more of a citizens level club that may or may not race (but some certainly will). We will primarily be doing charity rides but I want to stay out of trouble with USA cycling/UCI in the event that we want to show up and race occasionally.

I am looking for more info or resources to learn from on how to make sure we do this right. NOTE: all reference to registering in this post are relating to TEAM registration, not individual racer registration.

Here are the facts:
1) Mostly just a large group of riders (about 30) who want to ride hard, race only occasionally and wear the same kit but don't want to have to put on our own races

2) We do have a club name but it is not the name of a sponsor

3) We have allowed sponsors on kits but they are just the businesses of club members

4) We have accepted money from one sponsor but would gladly give it back if it means we don't have to register with USA cycling and promote races

5) We would like to participate in local racing wearing our kits but don't want to get fined for not being registered.

6) Our primarly aversion to registering is simply to avoid complexity...remember this is just a bunch of guys who like to ride hard and race only occasionally. These guys want low commitment.

7) When we do race, we just want to show up, pay up, and race; not even necessarily register as part of a team at the event, but still wear our kits if we can.

From what I have outlined, does it sound like I have to register with USA cycling?

Am I wanting to have my cake and eat it too?

We don't mind pulling our weight but we would prefer to do it by paying money to other clubs to race in their races rather than sponsoring one ourselves.

Any advice or references to rules is appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sawtooth; 01-04-11 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Text