View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 11:48 PM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
They aren't as fast as say the Primo Comets I am running now. I did not get punctures with them (but I do run with a Slime liner in the back). The sidewalls are quite flexy so I suspect their rolling resistance is not bad. They are a racing tyre so that bodes well. They stood up perfectly against the rigours of touring on and off-road.

I wanted a folding tyre as it is so much easier to take a spare along.

BTW I have nothing but praise for the Intense Micro Knobbies. It is light weight, very flexible sidewall and is perfect for mixed-mode riding. Connie has one of them on the front and it is lasting many 1000s of kms. She has had the odd puncture, I don't think they are very puncture resistant. But we run all our back wheels with Slime liners anyway as I have long ago lost confidence in built-in puncture protection. It has never really worked for me. I am not so sure though about its longevity when used on the back. I think the tread will wear rather quickly.
I operate under the philosophy that a tire liner doesn't protect against large objects (such as nails) and a built in kevlar belt doesn't protect against fine points (like fine wires, glass slivers, or the tip of a nail). Therefore, I use a built in kevlar belt to block the large objects AND a liner of cut resistant material to stop the sharp points.

One should note that I do not believe built in cut resistant layers can substitute for a cut resistant liner nor can a kevlar liner substitute for built in kevlar. The reason is that large objects need to be braced against entering deep into the tire (which can be accomplished with kevlar held firmly by the carcass) whereas the cut resistant layer works better if it can move a little because that makes it more difficult to cut...especially if most potential cutters are the short tips of "icebergs" which are being held at bay by the braced kevlar.

The only flats I've gotten this way have been from either not using a wide enough liner to cover the tread or from not installing the liners properly (with talc).

So that's why I want Kevlar belting and I want folding beads because my rims are simply horribly outside of reasonable manufacturing tolerances and removing steel bead tires from them is such a barbarous task that I refuse to do it ever again.