Old 01-05-11, 03:35 PM
slim_77

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Didn't read all of this so my apologies if what I post isn't as topical as i believe it to be but -

The permitted event part of the requirements for a USAC club are just that - permitted event. This can in fact be a permitted training ride. Read up on them or ask your area Local Permitting Official.

Also - in large areas or with small clubs many associations would rather not have a poorly run first attempt - undermanned event on the calendar and would rather let the team develop to the point where they can help. Most clubs putting on a race may allow another club to help and be titled on the permit as well - satisfying the requirement.

I can tell you for a fact there are a lot of teams in Chicago that do not host races. My team was attacked for it last season. We then helped out on 2 cross races and are title permitting one of them ourselves this year.

This is one area of the rules that I honestly feel needs to change. I can only assume it was put in during a time when it was meant to help foster the development of the sport. Get more events out there and get sponsors that could then be available to USAC.

In this day with 1 off printing availability of kits and it being very difficult to get businesses to derive a return from sponsoring, etc....along with the filled calendars in many areas and the risk that a poorly run event could cause to an area, venue, or sponsors involved....make me believe that all of those rules should be stricken. All that should be required is that the team/club is registered with USAC. If they host races then maybe they pay less to register than those who don't.

FWIW - they lifted the sleeve requirement for kits at least during TT's this year - opening it up to triathletes......the times they are a changing.
yeah...that was an angry thread.

cool! which race are you guys hosting? I better put that on the cal now so I don't get trumped!