Old 01-07-11, 10:34 AM
VT Biker

Bikes: Cannondale R700 (2005)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Use of steel track bikes in current races?

I am new to track cycling (just got started) and am using bikes provided by the facility I ride at for now. However, I am curious about the use of steel track bikes in competition. It seems all the guys ride carbon or aluminum aero bikes (as has been stated in the archives) which are fine, but I love the look of a classic steel track frame.

I want to invest in a custom track bike, and want something functional, not just pretty to look at. So my question relates to:

A) Are there real performance benefits to the aluminum frames vs. the steel frames?
B) Does anyone still race using the steel frames, or has this become the strict domain of the "fixie" crowd (who most do not know even what NJS stands for).

C) Or are steel frames used mostly for endurance events if used at all?

If it comes down to a performance issue, I will opt for going with a Tiemeyer custom. Maybe a compromise would be an aero-Yamaguchi. However, I have had my sights on a custom, round tubed classic track frame, if I can race competitively without too a competitive disadvantage.

Thanks in advance.

Note - I checked the archives, but would like to get some feedback in terms of the specific questions I have asked above.