sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bragi
Actually, insurance is one reason I plan on going back to car-free in a couple of months. I have an inexpensive car for which I paid cash, and fuel expenses are low because I only drive it once or twice a month, but insurance is US $960 a year. I'm basically paying $40 just for insurance every time I drive it, which is pretty stupid no matter how you look at it.
I believe they're piloting a program here in CA for a pay-as-you-drive insurance, specifically aimed at low-mileage drivers. I believe the way it's supposed to work is that you'd buy coverage for a certain number of miles at a time. So, someone who only drives 1,000 miles a year could buy 1,500 miles worth of coverage, or what have you. Not sure when this is happening or if this already exists elsewhere, but might be something to keep an eye out for.

On the OP: Our insurance was around $85 a month for liability-only. Insurance and gas, coupled with high registration costs made it too crippling. My coworkers sometimes ask how I'm able to afford to do this or that on my wage... I note how much I save by not owning a car. They seem to not want to believe the answer.