View Single Post
Old 05-28-05, 07:46 PM
skydive69

Bikes: Guru Geneo, Specialized Roubaix Pro, Guru chron 'alu, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trirmk
I know plenty of guys who would kick the $hit out of anyone else on a road geometry bike. I saw it happen at a world championship event - I was in the race and saw it first hand (of course it wasn't me doing it, but I certainly saw it happen ) Also, this isn't just about TT's. The poster is a newbie triathlete. If he were competing in ONLY TT's, I'd say sure, go with a full aero, tricked-out TT bike. But for what he's doing, he should consider both types of bikes. I would just suggest a road geometry for a newbie. I know the differences in TT times for racing with TT vs. road setups, but for all intents and purposes, and to help out the poster, he really needs to consider comfort and what's going to help him in the long haul...he can always upgrade to a tricked-out TT bike, but for starting out, I would bet my last dollar that he wouldn't be comfortable or see any different results starting out if he were on a full aero TT bike.
I am in total agreement. For a newbie, the only choice is a road bike. It makes a better trainer, and can easily be adapted to tris with the addition of aerobars (and other things).