Old 01-11-11, 10:19 PM
toolbear

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Scorpion FS trike, Specialized FSRxc Expert, Swissbike LX folding hardtail, Dahon Speed 7 folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SAFETY: Help the motorist not run you over.

Having observed them in their native habitat, I must say that the average bikie does not stand out on the road.

This is not a Good Career Move. If you are out there playing with cars, you should do everything possible to call attention to your presence as far off as you can. It is amazing that so few will invest a few dollars to keep their hides and bikes intact.

The average driver is not trying to run you over or door you or cause you to scratch the paint on his Lexus with your bike or break her windshield with your body (You know what those things cost to replace?).

He does not need the trouble, but all too often bike riders are running below radar in stealth mode. That is, until they interrupt that cell call the hard way. A smart move would be to take a look at what you look like from the rear. "Can you see me now?"

The examples are numerous by day and by night, but tonight's rider was typical.

Stopped at the light (full dark), I caught a flash of movement to the right, between the lanes of cars. There goes the guy, dark coat, may have had some diagonal lime green something on his back, but who knows. He had a messenger bag over it. However, he did have a working fixed red taillight. I have seen brighter lights on log booms. Headlight, I did not see.

How visible do you think a dim fixed red light is amid a sea of bright fixed and blinking red lights? Not very. Movement attracts the eye. Something reflective to catch the headlights would really help. A fixed tail light is better than nothing, but not very much.

Dude: at least put it on flash. Better, go to Pricepoint and spend $10 for their knock off of the Planet Bike Superflash (got 3, they work fine).

In the predawn darkness I can find the Latino commuters - they are dark moving spots against a brighter background. Lights are not common here. The best before dawn rider is a roadie I can see three blocks off and coming. I look for him.

Here come a brilliant white flashing light. The eye is immediately drawn to it a long ways off. When he passes, you see the strobing tail light. He is making a large blip on the motorist's radar.

Wish more would do the same. Light 'em up! If we notice you, we will certainly try to avoid you. Better for everyone if you get noticed a block away instead of three feet away.