cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jppe
poperszky--It sounds like you're looking for a plan that would allow you to ride longer distances--like the metric and century. It is generally a good idea to increase the number of miles you can comfortably ride over time and get to a point where you can do about 70-80% of the ultimate distance goal. Basically you need to ride a little easier than what you've been doing to build up to the longer distances. Along the way throw in some shorter distances with higher intensity workouts--just ride faster/harder for short stretches. You should see overall improvement in stamina and also strength and power over time.

Have fun on your first of many bikes to come!!
This is exactly what works for me. A century is my longest ride during the year so a Metric is what I shoot for on a regular basis. During the early season I am building endurance so that that metric is comfortable, I am not going after a hard effort, just a sustained effort. I start the cycling season in mid March and my first metric is usually in early May. All the time I am going longer but at a steady but not fast pace. Once I do that fist Metric I start adding sprints. My first metric is usually done at an average speed of 15mph but by the time June comes around that that average is up to 17Mph and I have done my first century. Then the fun begins, speed and strength improve, long climbs go from torture to tolerable. That stretch from the start of the season to Mid May is what I would call base building.