Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by matchswain
Hello all,

While in a dusty garage looking at an old Schwinn last night, I saw this hanging in a dark corner...and wanted it. Without the dust it's in nice shape. The AW hub shows "78," so I presume the rest of the bike would be dated the same (I can picture those graphics coming out of the 1970's anyway).

Clearly there are quite a few things that need to be upgraded (vinyl seat, disgusting - and stretched - chain, rotting tires) and I know that it's probably a lower-end Sports model, but the appeal is, well, probably much of the same appeal that keeps many of you posting your new 3-speed finds here.

My question is: have any of you found a Sports with the bars pictured? I've looked through every photo I can find, and non of the stock Sports bars look nearly as high as mine, though it could be a trick of the cameras. They're about 9" from the stem to the curve near the grips. I'm just curious how close to a stock bike I have, or what may have been changed over the years.

Also, if it looks like a bike that I should get rid of and try again, I'd like to hear it.

Thanks for looking.
There was no bottom of the line Raleigh Sports and your bike just had had it's bars and saddle replaced... am guessing that it's previous owner really liked to sit upright.

The colour is great and if it fits it won't take much to change the bars and saddle.

Last edited by Sixty Fiver; 01-13-11 at 09:57 PM.