Old 01-19-11, 11:37 AM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by coquearaujo
Sorry to be OT here, but i need to know...
Canyoneagle, i was just considering buying an E3 Pro but i was wondering how much better would it be than my current B&M Cyo. So just read your report and i'm shocked reading you that your E3 Pro (220 Lumens) was providing as much light as your Magicshine (900 Lumens), so maybe were you talking about your Magicshine's "low" mode?? (they claim 300 Lumen for the Low mode), or where you comparing it to a full power Magicshine?

I have two more questions: Does the E3 give plenty of light at low speeds? and, have you ever see a B&M Cyo to compare it to the E3 Pro?

I'm sorry i can't answer to your doubts but i've heard Supernova has a great customer service.

Coque.
Quoted lumens on the MS have been questioned, and most folks feel that real output is more like 500-600 max not 900. The model of E3 that I have (symmetrical "Iris") is rated at 370 output. To my eye, the MS is brighter, but the beam pattern has more artifacts and dead spots. The E3 has a bright beam with a very homogenous beam pattern that illuminates the road better in my perspective. the light isn't as "white" and doesn't wash things out as much as the MagicShine.
Don' get me wrong - the MS900 is a terrific value for its price.
To answer your other questions - I do not have any experience with the B&M products, but considered the Cyo as an alternate to the E3.
The E3 comes on at very low speeds (it illuminates when I walk the bike at a moderate pace) and seems to hit full brightness very quickly.

Here's the beam info on the model that I have (from the Supernova site): http://www.supernova-lights.com/en/products/e3pro.html
SYMMETRICAL IRIS LENS

Supernova E3 PRO- Iris, 370 Lumen
Not compliant with German road law.

E3 PRO with symmetrical Iris lens

The E3 with symmetrical Iris-lens has a narrowly focussed beam center giving you a great, far reaching high beam. Ideal for fast riders and speeds between 15-60 mph. Very good illumination of road signs.

We recommend this lens for:
• travel biking
• road bike / cyclocross training
• 24 hr road bike racing

Road width: 4 meters (13 feet) | Distance: 100 meters (328 feet)

@adclark - can't see the capacitor, and the enclosure is not easily opened without possible non-warranty covered damage.

I suspect the capacitor due to the fact that this is the component that powers the standlight and the tail light. Neither of these is working, yet the headlight works just fine when I'm riding. seems like the obvious culprit is the capacitor. I won't know for sure, of course until the warranty swap is complete.
I don't get very excited about the prospect of having to send my main light back to germany, and re-installing my flagging ms900 in the mean time.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 01-19-11 at 11:41 AM.