Old 01-20-11, 08:19 AM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MPC Biker
I'm repacking a vintage SunTour Superbe Pro bottom bracket and I am wondering if the old tube of Phil ball and roller bearing grease that I have would be adequate for the job.

This grease has always worked well for me in hubs and headsets, but I was wondering if I should take anything else into consideration before comitting to using this grease in my BB.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!
Personally my preference is to use the 0.82¢/g marine and trailer grease from Crappy Tire, then the 7¢/g Phil Grease or the 8¢/g Campy grease..... Figure the biggest difference between them is the packaging and colouring agents. Besides being much cheaper, the trailer grease is designed to be submerged in water, then driven at 120km/h for 3 hours, then left sitting for 6 months in freezing cold, and if it's good enough for that, it's good enough for my bicycles as well. There is another issue though, grease can separate with age sitting on the shelf as easily as it can, sitting in the bearings, so if you have that tub of Campy grease that has been sitting on the shelf since you opened it back in the early 90's, you have to make sure it's still usable. I don't mind looking at my Crappy Tire grease and dumping the tube if it's started to separate, since I can get another one and still have change from a fiver.

The fun starts tonight when I start tearing the Norco apart, the BB is a cartridge so nothing to do there, but I need to look at the hubs and headset, and true up the wheels, to get it ready for spring...