Old 01-20-11, 10:16 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RunningPirate
Oh, I hate gyms. Hate ‘em hate ‘em hate ‘em. It’s the whole meat market/social thing and the stench of no maintenance and broken machines and grunting meat heads and people taking up lanes in the pool while not actually swimming and jacuzzi’s that are 140 degrees with 75% chlorine to kill all the VD that might be there and you’re wondering about the hair floating on the surface and the fact that while there is 1000 sf of locker room, no matter what, there’s always a naked dude hanging out right next to you while you’re putting your shoes on and you’re thinking to yourself “Hey Johnny, close the junk drawer, will you?”

<whew>

[/rant]

OK, all that said, I find it amusing that in good weather areas, there are people in the gym doing cardio. A couple of years ago, I was in Hawai’I and I went for a run…ran right past a gym. The entire ocean-facing window was lined with folks running on treadmills. I waved as I went by.
"...close the junk drawer"

I teach spin classes and lead a walking group at my gym. A lot of people go to the gym for the social aspect of group classes, and others want someone who will tell them what to do and push them harder than they would work out on their own. Personally, I do a much harder weight workout when I have a trainer picking the exercises for me.

And some people have a hard time working out at home. Going to the gym gives them a routine to stick to and they won't get distracted by things at home.

Forum Guidelines *click here*