Plutonix
Cyclologist

Bikes: Trek 4500, Trek 7.5 FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Magicshine diffuser optics

One of the things I hate about my Magicshine is the optics - it is really just a flashlight with an external battery. On paved MUTs, I can hardly stand to use it on high because of the glare off the asphalt.

Lens Diffusers to the rescue. This guy found some optics that fit the MS and is selling them at a reasonable price (2 were $17 incl s/h). Beamshots here. I bought the soft and elliptical and rather like them.

His site doesnt always answer or work right, so here are some extra pics. The eliptical/wide is on the left, soft on the right:

The optics are the exact size of the MS crown so they slip right in. The fly in the ointment is that they have to replace the reflector and glass lens because of the feet on them. That dims the light a fair amount because of the black interior. Rob has instructions here for cutting a pseudo reflector out of tin foil or other thin, shiny/reflective material. (The instructions are not linked from the home page).

This shows one with the quasi foil reflector on and the strip for the other one.

It works but the optics are just acrylic, so I decided to try cutting the feet off one. They come off really easily with a Dremel to make cuts in the plastic and then smooth rough spots. Guess what - it fits in the reflector perfectly. Just leave out the glass lens and O Ring. In theory, it should reflect more light forward because of the way it extends down around the LED further than the tinfoil collar does.

Base trimmed back on the left one:

They both spread the light out nicely making it more of a Dinotte-like flood. Naturally, spreading the light out more makes it seem dimmer, and the optics are likely eating some photons as well. One thing that would probably send more light to the optics is use a smooth instead of OP reflector. Cutting it back to just a lens might help too, but I wasnt sure it would seat correctly.

I got the elliptical one because it seemed like it might be good for road use, spreading the light left and right and less so into the eyes of oncoming traffic. I am not wild about it, but havent road tested it, just ceiling tests. It also has to go in correctly else it spreads it vertically, and there appears to be an up and down.

The soft lens is great, but again needs a road test. No more hot spot, so it would no longer be a thrower, but appears to put all the light in a box in front of you.

In both cases the strobe mode looks worse on the ceiling. Since people seem incapable of looking away from a flashing light, being diffused might make it tolerable on the road.

I think these fit the Gemini as well - his site had a note that he was going to test it. Rob did a good job on the foil instructions and was really quick on shipping.

If you are looking for something more floody, this might work. A pair of MS, one throwing and one diffused would be really great.

Last edited by Plutonix; 01-22-11 at 12:13 AM. Reason: smaller pics to avoid scroll