View Single Post
Old 01-22-11, 09:12 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,443 Times in 646 Posts
I don't know the history on this bike, but how I came upon it was a story. I responded to a CL ad for a Fuji Del Rey that was cheap. I had to take a ferry over to get it, so the seller told me he would meet at the boat dock(so I could walk on the ferry to save money). Well, he shows up with the Fuji(which needed some love). I helped him get it out of his truck, and there were 3 or 4 other bikes/frames in there. Turns out he is a metal scrapper and pulled these bikes from the landfill.

Anyhow, he saw me looking at the other bikes, and asked if I wanted them. I was pretty uneducated on vintage bikes, so I didn't know what bike worth saving in his pile. The Peugeot looked like the higher end bike, so I paid him $8 for it& $35 for the Fuji, and walked back on the ferry with 2 beat up bikes(got a few odd comments as well). Now I have a new friend, and we do trade stuff on occasion. Very nice guy, along with a great wife.

Here is what my $8 bought: The wheels that came on it are from a 70s PX10(I saw the same set of skewers sell for $111 the other day)

I'm into it about $100 now, and it is the bike that holds the most sentimental value(as of now) to me. It would have been melted down by now if I didn't come accross it.

Here is the build thread: http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ild?highlight=

Last edited by Roger M; 01-22-11 at 09:22 AM.