Old 01-22-11, 01:15 PM
evilpulse8

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac E5 S-works, Specialized Tarmac Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Ok, score yourself a point, you caught me not having read it all before replying, and I believed the OP when he suggested the frame was Al. But he did say the rims are too heavy. Practically, if he wants light rims he'll need to look for 700c, and then probably not the low $ rims that are on factory wheels. And are the low cost hubs servicable? using loose balls or numbered industrial bearings? His old hubs very likely can be fully rebuilt, and probably use threaded rod-style axles. One way cost is being reduced in cheap hubs is to make more complex axles (powdered metal or CNC processes can be really low$$) that are strictly proprietary design-wise, and hence less servicable at the LBS level.

Is refurbishing an old bike with no eye to conserving original or at least period parts C&V, or just bike repair?
Yeah definately not looking for factory 700 wheels, atleast 38 aero profile style. As far as the old hub goes, it's pretty slick snd has lots of spin
i tried jamming a 700c wheel in the but yeah, it's a big difference in size. I've placed magnets on the back triangle nd he conclusion came out actually being alum. It's obviously a 90 model if not 89. The Axel is a quick realease, thiner than the entirely threaded axels nd yeah it does has loose balls, is it posible to change tht to regular bearings leaving the hub inside spacious nd lighter?